February 2020, № 1 (224), pages 72-79doi: 10.25198/1814-6457-223-72
Bessonova E.V., Kirillova I.K., Tarabarina YU.A. PREPARATION TECHNIQUE FOR WRITING ESSAYS AT INTERNATIONAL EXAMS IN ENGLISHToday experts with a high level of proficiency in a foreign language are considered in demand in the labour market. The level of foreign language proficiency is confirmed by a high test result of international exams in a foreign language. The essay is a mandatory part of international English language exams such as TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge Advanced English. We examined the requirements and assessment criteria for the essay writing exam task. The task assesses the level of speech skills formation necessary to create your own pieces of writing in a foreign language.
As part of the research, we developed a technology for teaching writing based on a product-oriented approach. According to the technology we have identified the following stages of text production: task orientation, text planning, text writing, and text self-editing. We have also proposed a set of exercises aimed at developing following skills: task understanding, formulating the author’s point of view and its proving with relevant examples, planning a cohesive and coherent text, text division into paragraphs, highlighting of the paragraph’s main idea, development of the idea in the text, expressing ideas in the text logically in accordance with the rhetorical structure of English essay, usage of lexical cohesive means, text self-editing.
This technology was tested during experimental training; its results prove the effectiveness of the proposed technology for teaching essay writing according to international English language exams requirements.Key words: international exam, product-oriented approach, learning technology, writting, essay.
1. Gal’skova N.D., Gez N.I. Teoriya obucheniya inostrannym yazykam. Lingvodidaktika i metodika [Theory of teaching foreign languages. Linguodidactics and methodology]. Moscow, Izdatel’skij centr “Akademiya”, 2006, 336 p.
2. The state program of the Russian Federation “Development of education” for 2013–2020. Available at: https://minobrnauki.rf / dokumenty/3409/fajl/2228/13.05.15.
3. Kirillova, I.K., Tarabarina YU.A. Obuchenie pis’mennoj rechi v processe podgotovki k mezhdunarodnym ekzamenam. Vestnik Orenburgskogo gosudartsvennogo universiteta, 2019, no. 4(222), pp. 99–105.
4. Kondakova N.N. Methods of preventing errors in foreign written language: English, language university. Candidate’s thesis. Tambov, 2006, 184 p.
5. Konobeev A.V. Training in written foreign language discourse in the genre of essays: Based on the material of junior courses of a language university. Candidate’s thesis. Tambov, 2001, 180 p.
6. Kudryashova O.V. Competency-based approach to teaching written language as a problem in the theory and practice of teaching foreign languages. Vestnik YUUrGU [ Bulletin of YUUrGU], 2007, no. 1, pp. 36–41.
7. Martynova, A.G. Education in academic written discourse in the genre of expository essays (in the mat. Senior courses of a language university). Candidate’s thesis. Omsk, 2006, 163 p.
8. Mil’rud R.P. Pishem esse po zakonam zhanra [Writing an essay on the laws of the genre]. Available at: http://iyazyki.ru/?p=24284 (Accessed 15 Oktober 2016).
9. Salivon A.B., Reva N.I. Gotovimsya k sdache ekzamena IELTS: WritingEssays [Preparing for the exam IELTS: WritingEssays]. Vladivostok, Izd-vo VGUES, 2008, 70 p.
10. Chujkova E.S. Teaching the sociocultural features of foreign language writing of students of the faculty of foreign languages: Based on material from discursive essays. Candidate’s thesis. Samara, 2005, 181 p.
11. Shpinner, K.H. Kreativnyj urok nemeckogo yazyka. Identichnost’ — voobrazhenie — kognitivnost’ [Creative German lesson. Identity — Imagination –- Cognitiveness]. Zeelce, 2001, 250 p.
12. Shirokih A. YU. Typology of errors and systematics of aspects of the learning situation for the study of English . Biznes. Obrazovanie. Pravo. [Business. Education .Law], 2014, no. 4(29), pp. 312–315.
13. Grabe W. and Kaplan R.B. Theory and Practice of Writing: An applied linguistic perspective. London and New York: Longman, 1996, 325 p.
14. How IELTS is scored. ILETS. Available at: https://www.ielts.org/about-the-test/how-ielts-is-scored. (Accessed 20. 10.2016).
15. How IELTS is scored. ILETS. Available at: https://www.ielts.org/about-the-test/how-ielts-is-scored. (Accessed 04. 01.2019).
16. Matsuda P.K. Process and post-process: A discursive history. Journal of Second Language writing, 2003, no 12, pp. 65–83.
17. McCall J. How to write themes and essays. New York: Arco Publishing, 1998, 138 p.
18. Richards J.C., Schmidt R. Longman dictionary of language teaching and applied linguistics. London: Pearson Education Ltd., 2002, 606 p.
19. The official Cambridge Guide to IELTS. Cambridge University Press, 2015, 398 p.
20. Wang Hong Xia 15 days practice for IELTS writing. Ho Chi Minh: Nhan Tri Viet, 2007, 174 p.
21. Zemach D.E., Rumisek L.A. Academic writing from paragraph to essay. Oxford: Macmillan Publishers, 2005, 138 p.
About this article
Authors: Bessonova E.V., Kirillova I.K., Tarabarina Yu.A.