Zakirullin R.S. AN OPTICAL FILTER WITH ANGULAR SELECTIVITY OF LIGHT TRANSMISSIONAn optical filter consisting of glass substrate with thin-film grating layers on two surfaces is presented. Macroscopic gratings are formed by directionally transmissive strips alternating with absorptive strips. Their relative position on input and output surfaces provides angular selectivity of light transmission — part of the radiation that has passed through input gratings is blocked additionally by output gratings depending on incidence angle. A graphic-analytical calculation method determines the influence of optical and geometric parameters of alternating strips on angular characteristics of light transmission. Results of graphic-analytical calculations are confirmed experimentally. A method of calculation of the filter parameters to meet the predetermined angular selective regulation characteristics is developed. Architectural glazing to control the transmitted solar radiation without special redirecting devices is the most promising area of application.Key words: оptical filter, gratings with alternating strips, graphic-analytical calculation method, angular characteristics of light transmission, pre-adapted angular selective regulation.
1. Macleod, H.A. Thin-Film Optical Filters, 3rd ed. (Institute of Physics, Philadelphia, Pa., 2001).
2. Fehrembach, A.-L., Maystre, D. and Sentenac, A., "Phenomenological theory of filtering by resonant dielectric gratings," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A. 19, 1136-1144 (2002).
3. Shaoji Jiang, Jianrong Li, Jijia Tang and Hezhou Wang, "Multi-channel and sharp angular spatial filters based on one-dimensional photonic crystals," Chin. Opt. Lett. 4, 605-607 (2006).
4. Sentenac, A. and Fehrembach, A.-L., "Angular tolerant resonant grating filters under oblique incidence," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A. 22, 475-480 (2005).
5. Li Chen, Zexuan Qiang, Hongjun Yang, Huiqing Pang, Zhenqiang Ma and Weidong Zhou, "Polarization and angular dependent transmissions on transferred nanomembrane Fano filters," Opt. Express 17, 8396-8406 (2009).
6. Jian Zhang and Guo Ping Wang, "Simultaneous realization of transmission enhancement and directional beaming of dual-wavelength light by a metal nanoslit," Opt. Express 17, 9543-9548 (2009).
7. Shaoji Jiang, Yan Liu and Hezhou Wang, "Narrow frequency and sharp angular one-dimensional photonic crystals inserted with heterogeneous defects," Proc. SPIE 6020, 60202Y (2005).
8. Ferrari, J.A., Flores, J.L., Perciante, C.D. and Frins, E., "Edge enhancement and image equalization by unsharp masking using self-adaptive photochromic filters," Appl. Opt. 48, 3570-3579 (2009).
9. Mazilu, M., Miller, A. and Donchev, V.T., "Modular Method for Calculation of Transmission and Reflection in Multilayered Structures," Appl. Opt. 40, 6670-6676 (2001).
10. Zu-Bin Li, Jian-Guo Tian, Wen-Yuan Zhou, Wei-Ping Zang and Chunping Zhang, "Periodic dielectric bars assisted enhanced transmission and directional light emission from a single subwavelength slit," Opt. Express 14, 8037-8042 (2006).
11. Andersen, M., Rubin, M., Powles R. and Scartezzini, J.-L., "Bi-directional transmission properties of Venetian blinds: experimental assessment compared to ray-tracing calculations," Solar Energy 78(2), 187-198 (2005).
12. Horowitz, F., Pereira, M. B. and de Azambuja G.B., "Glass window coatings for sunlight heat reflection and co-utilization," Appl. Opt. 50, C250-C252 (2011).
13. Barachevcky, V.A., Lashkov, G.I. and Tsekhomsky, V.A. Photochromism and Its Applications (Moscow: Chemistry, 1977).
14. Andersson, A.M., Granqvist, C.G. and Stevens, J.R., "Electrochromic LixWO3/poymer laminate/LiyV2O5 device: toward an all-solid-state smart window," Appl. Opt. 28, 3295-3302 (1989).
15. Sueda, K., Tsubakimoto, K., Miyanaga, N. and Nakatsuka, M., "Control of spatial polarization by use of a liquid crystal with an optically treated alignment layer and its application to beam apodization," Appl. Opt. 44, 3752-3758 (2005).
16. Schechner, Y.Y., Shamir, J. and Kiryati, N., "Polarization and statistical analysis of scenes containing a semireflector," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A. 17, 276-284 (2000).
17. Zakirullin, R.S., "Selective beam incidence angle control over directional light transmission," Technical Physics 57(10), 1456-1458 (2012).
18. Nicolau, V.P. and Maluf, F.P., "Determination of radiative properties of commercial glass," PLEA (2001).
About this article
Author: Zakirullin R.S.
|Sergey Aleksandrovich |