Tsatska I.P. LEGAL STATUS OF THE ORDER OF MALTA. HAS THE MILITARY ORDER SOVEREIGNTYThe article covers an investigation of the international legal status of the Order of Malta. The author has unraveled a certain vagueness provoked by the legal form of the Order of Malta — military order, which is quite rare in the XXI century, as well as by an incomplete recognition of the order by the international community. The author also identifies three main types of the activities of the order: humanitarian activity, supporting its sovereignty status and fighting mimic orders abusing the name of the Order of Malta.Key words: history, legal status, international relations, Catholic church, military order, XXI century, Order of Malta, SMOM.
1. News agency Interfax-Religion. [Electronic source]. URL: http://www.interfax-religion.ru/?act=news&div=34848 (reference date 12.12.2012).
2. Andreev A.R., Zakharov V.A., Nastenko I.A. History of the Order of Malta. XI-XX centuries. Moscow: SPSL — Russkaya Panorama. — 1999. 469 pp.
3. Zakharov V.A. The Order of Malta and its place in the system of European states. // Questions of History. — 2006. — №8. — P. 22–38.
4. Zakharov V.A. The Order of Malta as a European state. // Contemporary Europe. — 2002. — №2. — P.74–82.
5. Zakharov V.A. The Sovereign Order of Malta — a European reality or a historical vestige? // Russia XXI. — 2002. — №4. — P.118–150.
6. Official website of the Order of Malta. [Electronic source]. URL: http://www.orderofmalta.int/?lang=ru (reference date: 12.12.2012).
7. Official website of the Department for External Church Relations of the Russian Orthodox Church [Electronic source]. URL: http://www.mospat.ru/ru/2010/05/21/news18616/ (reference date: 12.12.2012).
8. UN resolution №48/265 of 24.08.1994 // Web-archive of documents and acts on the official website of the UN. [Electronic source]. URL: http://www.un.org/documents/ga/res/48/a48r265.htm (reference date: 12.12.2012).
9. List of heads of foreign diplomatic and consular corps in Russia (as of October 2012 года) // Official website of the Foreign Ministry of Russia. [Electronic source]. URL: http://www.mid.ru/bdomp/activity.nsf/foreign_representation/03.02.05.02.03 (reference date: 12.12.2012).
10. Constitutional Charter and Code of the Sovereign Military Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta. Rome: Stampa Grafica Gentile. — 1998. — 151 pp.
11. Sire H.J.A. Knights of Malta. New Haven and London: Yale University Press. –2001. 320 pp.
About this article
Author: Tsatska I.P.