Montella A. ROUNDABOUT DESIGN CRITERIA: AN INTERNATIONAL OVERVIEWRoundabouts are hastily spreading around the world, mainly because of their good safety performance, and several countries have recently updated their standards and guidelines. However, inconsistencies in design standards and practices are observed. In this paper, a critical review of the Australasian, EU and US standards and guidelines is performed. As a result, key issues and best practices of the existing standards are identified. Based on this review, it is recommended to adopt the concepts of design flexibility and performance based design. Indeed, rigid standards, which do not really take into account safety and operational consequences of the design decisions and the need to balance opposing demands, might produce undesirable outcomes. Finally, research areas to fill the knowledge gaps are identified. Ключевые слова: roundabouts, geometric design, sight distance, speed control, radius of deflection, entry path radius, deviation angle, safety, standards, guidelines.
Список использованной литературы:
1. Arndt, O. K., Troutbeck, R. 2005. Relationship between unsignalised intersection geometry and accident rates. 3rd TRB International Symposium on Highway Geometric Design, Chicago, IL.
2. Austroads 2011. Guide to Road Design, Part 4B Roundabouts. Report AGRD08/11, Sydney, Australia.
3. CERTU, Centre d'etudes sur les reseaux, les transports, l'urbanisme et les constructions, 1999. Carrefours urbains: Guide. Lyon, France.
4. Chen, Y., Persaud, B., Sacchi, E., Bassani, M. 2013. Investigation of models for relating roundabout safety to predicted speed. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 50: 196–203.
5. Highways Agency, 2007a. Design of Mini-Roundabouts. Design Manual of Roads and Bridges, Vol. 6, Section 2, Part 2, TD 54/07, London, UK.
6. Highways Agency, 2007b. Geometric Design of Roundabouts. Design Manual of Roads and Bridges, Vol. 6, Section 2, Part 3, TD 16/07, London, UK.
7. Italian Ministry of Infrastructures and Transports, 2006. Decree 19 April 2006: Guidelines for the Design of Road Intersections. Official Journal of Italian Republic, No. 170/2006, Rome, Italy.
8. Lombardia Region, 2006. Regional Rule, No. 7, 24 April 2006 Standards for Highways Construction, Annex 2 Intersections Design. Official Journal of Lombardia Region, No. 17/2006, Milan, Italy.
9. Maycock, G., Hall, R, 1984. Accidents at 4-arm roundabouts. Transport and Road Research Laboratory report 1120, Crowthorne, UK.
10. Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water management, 2009. Roundabouts — Application and design: A practical manual. The Hague, the Netherlands.
11. Montella, A. 2007. Roundabout In-Service Safety Reviews: Safety Assessment Procedure. Transportation Research Record, 2019: 40–50.
12. Montella, A. 2011. Identifying crash contributory factors at urban roundabouts and using association rules to explore their relationships to different crash types. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 43(4): 1451–1463.
13. Montella, A., Aria, M., D'Ambrosio, A., Galante, F., Mauriello, F., Pernetti, M. 2010. Perceptual Measures to Influence Operating Speeds and Reduce Crashes at Rural Intersections: Driving Simulator Experiment. Transportation Research Record 2149:11–20.
14. Montella, A., Aria, M., D'Ambrosio, A., Galante, F., Mauriello, F., Pernetti, M. 2011. Simulator evaluation of drivers' speed, deceleration and lateral position at rural intersections in relation to different perceptual cues. Accident Analysis and Prevention 43(6):2072–2084.
15. QDMR, Queensland Department of Main Roads, 2006. Roundabouts. In Road planning and design manual, chapter 14, Brisbane, QLD, accessed 27 March 2009, http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/web/partnersCR.nsf/DOCINDEX/Road+Planning+and+Design+Manual.
16. Rodegerdts, L., Bansen, J., Tiesler, C., Knudsen, J., Myers, E., Johnsonm, M., Moule, M., Persaud, B., Lyon, C., Hallmark, S., Isebrands, H., Crown, R. B., Guichet., B., and O'Brien, A. 2010. Roundabouts: An Informational Guide, Second Edition. NCHRP Report 672, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C.
17. Rodegerdts, L., Blogg, M., Wemple, E., Myers, E., Kyte, M., Dixon, M., List, G., Flannery, A., Troutbeck, R., Brilon, W., Wu, N., Persaud, B., Lyon, C., Harkey, D. and Carter, D. 2007a. NCHRP Report 572: Roundabouts in the United States. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C.
18. Rodegerdts, L., Blogg, M., Wemple, E., Myers, E., Kyte, M., Dixon, M., List, G., Flannery, A., Troutbeck, R., Brilon, W., Wu, N., Persaud, B., Lyon, C., Harkey, D., Carter, D. 2007b. Appendixes to NCHRP Report 572: Roundabouts in the United States. NCHRP Web-Only Document 94, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C.
19. Sayed, T., Zaki, M. H., Autey, J. 2013. A Novel Approach for Diagnosing Cycling Safety Issues using Automated Computer Vision Techniques. 92nd TRB Annual Meeting, paper 13-0744, Washington, D.C.
20. SETRA, Service d'Etudes Techniques des Routes et Autoroutes, 1998. The Design of Interurban Intersections on Major Roads: At-grade Intersections. Bagneux Cedex, France.
21. Spacek, P. 2004. Basis of the Swiss Design Standard for Roundabout. Transportation Research Record, 1881:27–35.
22. TNZ — Transfund New Zealand 2000. The Ins and Out of Roundabouts: a Safety Auditors' Perspective. Wellington, New Zealand.
23. Turner, S., Wood, G., Roozenberg, A. 2006. Accident Prediction Models for Roundabouts. 22nd ARRB Conference, Canberra, Australia.
24. VSS, Association of Swiss Road and Traffic Engineers, 1999. Swiss Standard SN 640 263: Carrefours, carrefours giratoires. Zurich, Swiss.
Автор: Моntеllа А.